Q: Fuel EVAP line that runs under car is kinked how do I know if it is leaking? Also can I drive it like that if it's not leaking?

asked by on June 04, 2017

I bought a car from an auction, it has a kinked Fuel EVAP line that runs underneath the driver's seat under car. I cannot drive the car in the street yet. The car runs fine stationary, I have reved it up and I can't smell gas or nothing. Does the EVAP light error on dash turn on when stationary when there is a leak? Or does the car have to be running down the road for it to find the leak and therefore turn the light on?how do I find if there's a leak?

Hi there. In most cases, an EVAP leak will create an OBD-II trouble code, which is the best way to detect an EVAP leak. By having a professional mobile mechanic complete a check engine light inspection, they will be able to download the code and determine the source of the leak. In most cases, it’s an EVAP purge solenoid that is faulty.