I hear a light metal scrapping on metal as I drive only. ...

Q: I hear a light metal scrapping on metal as I drive only. It stops when the wheels stop. Starts again as the car moves and sounds

asked by on August 03, 2017

As I drive the vehicle I hear a light metal scraping on metal sound. It stops when the car stops and continues as the car moves. The faster the vehicle moves the sound is faster.

Hello, thank you for writing in. These are classic signs of a brake issue. There are several problems that may be occurring, and you will have to take the wheel off to get a better look. However, resolving the problem may be very simple. After removing the tire where the sound is loudest, check the brake pads and rotors. You are looking for excess wear in the pads that are allowing the "pad wear indicators" (or metal tabs designed to tell you when the pads are low) to rub. This is normal and is meant to inform you that the pads need changing. If the pads have plenty of braking material left, check for debris stuck between the pads and the rotors. Rocks and dust can build up and grind due to the very little amount of space between the pads and rotors when in motion. Lastly, the pads may be dragging on the rotors for one of many reasons. You will want to seek professional help at that point. Contact our service department for further assistance with the noises.