Found Casting sand in coolant overflow, sand left from en...

Q: Found Casting sand in coolant overflow, sand left from engine block casting, what is best "repair"?

asked by on August 07, 2017

2014 vehicle - during the casting of the engine block, the casting sand apparently was not completely cleared, the sand has now worked it's way through my vehicle and was just recently found in the overflow of my coolant, heater in vehicle has quit working. will be taking vehicle in to dealer for "repair" for the issue, but want to be prepared as to what I should I ask them to "fix" or "replace". they seem to think it might just be an actuator valve, but I'm pretty sure it's not....there is a bunch of really fine sand in just the overflow tank, I would hate to think where else it is in my engine....How can this be remedied?

The only way to try and flush out all the sand is to drain the cooling system and flush out with fresh water until the system is cleaned out the best as possible. Even after this you will need to have a drain and fill the system every 6 months until the system stays clean.