Q: Q: Flex pipe

My question wasn't answered thoroughly. On a 2003 Chevy Malibu, do you have to change the whole catalytic converter if you have a leak in the flex pipe? Is the Catalytic converter connected to the flex pipe? I was told that you couldn't just weld the flex pipe. The converter is up by the engine, not under the bottom of the car. Thanks

As I said before it can be replaced without replacing the entire converter assembly. If you google search the exhaust on your car you will see the flex pipe can be purchased separately. All you need to do is get an exhaust that is willing to replace it for you.

In this application, both GM and the aftermarket exhaust system manufacturers (Walker Exhaust, for instance) manufacture and vend the catalytic converter and the flex pipe (the flex is only a 6 inch segment by the way) as ONE integral welded together unit. To answer your question, that means in practice if either the flex segment or the converter leak, both are replaced as the entire segment is replaced as one unit. The entire part (flex plus converter) is roughly $165 or so if you buy it retail on Amazon. Although it is possible to implement ad hoc exhaust repairs, for example welding over a hole, it is generally a waste of your time and your money as the repairs are not as long lived as a new part. This can be repaired on a mobile basis and you can call the YourMechanic 800 number and inquire if this specific repair is available in your locale. As far as the motor mounts, those are absolutely replaceable on a mobile basis and you can save a lot of money having it done on a mobile basis. Indeed, a possibility is if you go ahead and do the mounts, the mechanic who is already there can replace the exhaust as well. If you want to have the mounts replaced, and see about he exhaust component, simply schedule via YourMechanic’s motor mount service page and the responding certified mechanic will get you all fixed up. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. Q: Flex pipe