Q: Every time I fill up my gas tank my car starts to act weird and it only happens when after I pump gas. I hear that it’s bad to sti

asked by on February 07, 2018

I have a 2013 Dodge Dart SXT with 67,000 miles on it and every time I fill up my gas tank my car starts acting weird. I’m tired that it always does this thing where I accelerate it slows down as if I’m braking when I’m actually accelerating, kind of like if it grabbed air for a second. And when I come to a complete stop and have my foot on my brake, if I start letting go of the brake my car wobbles/shakes. I told the dealership the problem and they said it’s due to the fact that I still pump more gas to the tank even after the pump clicks meaning it’s full. Is it safe to drive like that? I’m just very concerned about this if it means I possibly damaged my gas gauge. Would would be recommended to do to fix this problem?.

Car is shaking or vibrating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi Vanessa. Thanks for contacting us tonight. I think what you are describing might be caused by an EVAP component failure, such as a purge valve or EVAP canister issue. The EVAP system is designed to filter harmful vapors from the fuel cell and maintain a solid pressure for efficient fuel flow. It can also cause issues filling the fuel tank if damaged. The problem is that this system is rather complex, and is really hard to isolate the root issue without an on-site inspection being completed. If the car is vibrating when you come to a stop, it’s likely due to a fuel restriction issue, so I would recommend having an inspection completed to determine what repairs are needed to resolve this problem.