Q: Enourmous amount of gas in exhaust and extremely rough idle and car immediately dies after starting.

Started my car one day and it had a rough idle. It wasnt too bad so i kept driving it. Then one day as i was about to shut the car off i could smell gasoline fumes as if gas was in my lap. My motor oil has a strong gas smell and now if i can start the car i can look underneath and see a full on stream of gas coming out of a hole in my exhaust pipe. My car wont even maintain an idle after i start it now and i cannot drive it at all. Ive changed spark plugs recently ans thats all ive done to it. What is a specific cause for this please help!!! When i was able to drive my car literally only got about 2 miles per gallon of gas.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 1998 Nissan Maxima. You should not try and run your car until it is fixed, or a fire may result. Check to see if the fuel pressure regulator is leaking fuel into the intake vacuum line on top of it by disconnecting vacuum line and see if fuel is in it. Replace the regulator if it is and change out the oil and filter after cranking over the engine to get excess fuel out of the cylinders. If you want to have these issues verified, a certified technician from YourMechanic, can come to your home or office to diagnose the rough idling and stalling issues.