Q: Engine won't run - 2002 Ford Explorer

Engine does run if you pull out a spark plug.

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. When verifying that the engine will not run, check the three elements of combustion.

Check for air, spark, and fuel. If the engine is getting proper amounts of air and the filter is clean, then check the spark plugs for that they have a spark that is blue and bold color. If the spark is not working, then check the spark plug wires for any damage and look on the spark plugs for any burn spots.

If the spark plugs and wires are good, then check the ignition coil for proper working conditions. Check the ignition fuse to ensure that the coil is getting power.

Finally, check the fuel injectors for that they are working correctly. Remove the harness to the fuel injectors and check for power.

If there is power to all of the injectors, then the injectors should be working. Check for fuel pressure and see if there is at least 35 psi on the fuel rail. If the pressure is lower than 35 psi, then check the fuel filter for any restrictions. If you have a 0 for fuel pressure, then check the fuel pump for power with the key on. If there is no power at the fuel pump, then the pump would need replaced. Now, if everything is in good condition and everything is working correctly, then it is possible that you have a problem with the ignition switch.

If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, that can diagnose the no-start and follow through with repairs.