Q: Engine swap!

I have an 02 ram 1500 quad cab, 8 foot bed with the 5.9 hemi 4 speed automatic. I really want to put a 4.7 v8 and a 5 speed automatic in it. Is this plausible?

The main problem in such a swap is the engine computers for the two engines you are referring to are not interchangeable. And, you cannot flash re-program your existing computer to work with the new engine because the two use different computer hardware (physically different PCM’s). In addition, the wiring harnesses are completely different, and the TCM (transmission control module) will have to be completely changed as well. As if that isn’t enough, it would seem to me unlikely that if, and once, you substitute a new PCM and TCM that it will all work seamlesly, if at all, with the other computers on the vehicle such as the body control module but there are many other microprocessors involved as well. In the modern era, really the only way swaps like this can work is if you literally carry over all electronic controls and wiring that are associated with the engine to the vehicle. Obviously, that makes it very impractical and so few people do it. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. Engine swap!