Q: Engine stopped while on and gas cap light shows up?

Car turned off today for the first time. Turned back on, no problem. The gas cap light shows up on mileage. Check engine light is also on?

A: Hi there, thanks for your question. I'd...

Hi there, thanks for your question. I'd be happy to help. This is a common issue that is easily fixed on most cars. Your gas cap requires an air tight fit that helps to contribute to an evaporation system in your car which is designed to capture and reuse the fuel vapors in your tank that would otherwise be released into the atmosphere. When the cap is not sealed tight, it will cause the check engine light to come on. Simply check the gas cap to be sure it is on tightly. Once done, this should cause the check engine light to go off shortly after. You may need to shut the car off and restart it in order for it to go off.