Q: Engine stalls when driving and loss of power steering

My van has a regular and frequent problem of the engine stalling. Whether turning a corner, driving straight, stopping, accelerating -- no matter what I'm doing it will stall! This is very serious in traffic and could cause an accident. Can you help me?

Hello. I think you may be having one of the following problems:

• Mass AirFlow (MAF) sensor: the MAF sensor helps to control how much air mixes with the fuel. If the sensor is defective, the van will get an improper air/fuel mixture and may stall out.

• Throttle body assembly: the throttle body assembly responds to the push of your gas pedal and allows the van to get the proper amount of gas. If the throttle body assembly isn’t working properly, the van will not get the proper fuel when you press the accelerator, which will cause a stalling condition.

I suggest that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and check the Engine Control Module (ECM) for error codes.