Q: Check engine and oil light on

Changed oil about a week ago. Did not change filter. Check engine light came on yesterday. Oil light coming on and off now

If your vehicle’s check engine light illuminates, there is a malfunction that should be diagnosed and repaired. If you request a check engine light diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would use a code scanner to retrieve diagnostic trouble code(s) from your car’s PCM and then use those codes as a guide to diagnosing and repairing the fault.

You might consider changing the engine oil filter just in case that has any relation to the oil pressure light coming on. Check to make sure you used the correct viscosity oil for your engine when you changed the oil and, of course, check the level of oil on the dipstick. If the oil pressure warning light has come on, you can first check to see if there is a malfunction in the warning light circuit or oil pressure sensor. To do that, the warning light circuit can be tested and the actual engine oil pressure can be verified, too, using an external pressure gauge. Measurement of the pressure will tell you if there is an actual lack of pressure versus a malfunction in the oil pressure sensor and warning light system. If pressure does read low, there are multiple causes of that and a blockage of the oil pick up screen and/or oil pump failure are among the multiple causes. If you would like YourMechanic to resolve this, whatever the cause of the light illuminating may turn out to be, please simply request an oil pressure inspection/diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will let you know why the light is on and what the required repairs will be. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. Check engine and oil light on