Q: Car will not start after alternator replacement?

asked by on October 30, 2016

My alternator was grinding & needed to be replaced. Was on my way home to do just that & it died. Car had to be towed. Replaced the alternator, charged the battery & car would not start. It kind of made a small backfire sound or "poof" noise. I thought maybe the spark plugs got fouled, so I replaced those too. Charged the battery again & tried to restart the car. Nothing. It cranks, but does not seem to try & fire up? Checked the fuel pump reset in the trunk, but it was not tripped either. What else could be the issue? I need this car for work and any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Engine is misfiring Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The backfire sound usually indicates a misfire of some kind which may be related to a timing issue such as a faulty ignition coil, bad spark plug wires or a faulty crankshaft position sensor. This may also possibly be related to a fuel supply issue as well such as a faulty injector connection or voltage creating a lean fuel condition which can also cause a misfire. A certified YourMechanic technician can be dispatched to your location to help inspect your vehicle’s starting issues and suggest any necessary repairs.