Q: Brake Caliper

Hi, do you advise to paint brake calipers at home?? Does it matter if I use any paint? Does Black paint give any extra Horsepower? Also does the caliper last the lifetime? Also when should I change my Honda Odyssey cooling system? Thanks

Surface coatings (paint, powder coatings, etc.) on brake calipers are not required or recommended. Such coatings have no effect on caliper service life and no effect, positive or negative, on any aspect of vehicle operation. The paint therefore services a wholly cosmetic (decorative) function. If you do use a coating, in order that the coating will actually stick to the caliper, surface preparation has to be near perfect and that requires abrasive blasting and possibly acids to remove dirt and rust. Only specialized high heat resistant coatings will work. Brake calipers do not last the life of a vehicle. Calipers must be inspected and serviced or replaced whenever any brake service is performed on the vehicle. As far as required cooling system maintenance, your vehicle has an automated maintenance minder system which is explained in this Honda document and see your Owner’s Manual as well. When maintenance schedule No. 5 appears in the information display, on the instrument panel, the coolant in the cooling system should be replaced. If you suspect that schedule No. 5 has already come and passed and you now desire cooling system service, please schedule service via YourMechanic’s cooling system inspection/service request page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.