Q: Engine stalls and then starts again fine

asked by on October 30, 2015

At least once a week the engine in my 2006 Chevrolet Equinox dies shortly after I start it up. I haven’t had any permanent issues from this, meaning that once I turn the key again the car starts up just fine. I am worried that it will cut out while driving and I am surprised that a car with 62,000 miles on it has a problem like this. I don’t know what to do about this, is this a common issue?

This is a well documented issue with the Chevrolet Equinoxes. The most common issue reported is the vehicle will suddenly shut off in the middle of driving it, regardless of speed, etc. It will normally start up after waiting a few minutes. Some have reported that upon starting it the vehicle immediately dies with multiple warning lights on the dashboard. This issue can be cause by a faulty ignition switch, a fault in your electrical system, or commonly with this model, bad engine control computer. For most people, this diagnosis is beyond their level of ability, I’d recommend that you take it into the dealership where they will have the equipment to examine your vehicles computer system. If you have a warranty, make sure the repair is covered under it as this type of repair can be very expensive to troubleshoot and the costs can add up. In the event that you do not have warranty coverage an independent repair service such as Your Mechanic can often easily diagnose why your car is stalling.