Q: Engine smells hot at times.

The Engine light comes on sometimes. I checked the gas cap and other easy to fix things that can cause this. The engine does smell hot at times, but the temperature gauge doesn't read as hot.

Hello. If the check engine light is coming on at times with no other symptoms then the best thing to do would be to have the computer scanned for codes as that can reveal what the engine is seeing. If it seems as if it may be getting hot then the code may be from a thermostat, which is a common failure on this engine that will not always cause it to overheat. A computer scan tool would be the best tool to begin diagnosing this issue. If you do not have the tools to do this then you should enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic that has the tools to look into this, like one from YourMechanic.

3. Engine smells hot at times.