Q: Engine shutoff

My 2002 1.8L toyota avensis engine run smoothly but shutoff when my leg is not on the accelerator pedal and when I slow down, the engine check light turn on when the radiator fan are on but goes off when they are disconnected but this was not so until I made a mechanic change my head gasket, plugs, fuel injectors and coils please help me

Hey there. It looks like you’ve completed quite a bit of mechanical work on your 2002 Toyota. Although changing out the mechanical components like head gaskets, plugs, and fuel injectors is important to a smooth running combustion engine, one common item that is overlooked are the electrical sensors that keep all these components working smooth together. The symptom you’re describing seems like it may be attributed to an air/fuel ratio sensor or O2 sensor on the Toyota. It also be caused by a vacuum leak of some sort.

When you decelerate, the engine relies on a smooth supply of fuel/air mix in order to continue running at idle. This is even more critical when the engine is hot (as indicated by the claim that this occurs when the fan is running). Check out the sensors to see if that’s causing your problem or look into the vacuum lines to see if one was not reattached or if it has a leak. A technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your stalling issue in order to make the correct repair.