Q: Engine rattling while the tab of speed is pressed

Engine rattles a bit when I put my foot to the tab of my speed and it goes as soon as I lift my foot off. Is it just a characteristic of a little 3-cylinder engine?

A: Thing about this is that it should never ra...

Thing about this is that it should never rattle when you accelerate. But if it does, it means that the timing is a little bit too advanced. But with those little 3-cylinder engines--I'm assuming you are talking about Geo Metrol-- which are so powerless that you might just live with that.

Because, if you do retard the timing, it's going to be even slower than it is now. That little bit of rattle when you accelerate hard isn't really going to hurt anything. But, here is something you can try just out of curiosity. Go to Shell and buy their V-power tank of their high-test gas, and you might find the rattling goes away because it has higher octane and if it doesn't bother you, use that gas. It will cost a lot more though.