Q: Engine problems

My engine is sputtering and I have checked the oil but that seems fine and the antifreeze/coolant is fine as well. I am at a lost as to what it is, but it is clearly over heating somehow and would like to know why. If that is okay?

A: If the engine is overheating then you will ...

If the engine is overheating then you will need to see if the upper and lower radiator hoses are both hot, but the lower one will be cooler than the top. This tells me the thermostat is open. If the top is cold and bottom is warm this indicates the thermostat is not open and can be cause of the overheating.

The fans should also be on when the temperature gets up to above 220 degrees or so. If the fan is not coming on, then you have electrical fan issues. The sputtering to me is a misfire and this can mean you may have a blown head gasket if the engine overheated.

I would suggest having the car’s overheating issues inspected by a mechanic before you drive it anymore to prevent further damages. A mobile mechanic can come to you and test diagnose the problems you have.