Q: Miata won't shift into gears. Clutch seems fine! It will go into all gears when car is off. help!

asked by on October 10, 2017

Car mainly sits had some issues steering (no play) so it's only being moved for street sweeping, last time I moved it I stepped on the clutch, turned over the key and it lurched in 1st then locked and I couldn't get it out of gear. I finally did but couldn't put it into any gear, finally got it into 3rd and gunned it across the street, it lossened up and began to shift, I reversed and parked in 1st. Moved it this week and I had the same trouble only this time I made it to a parking position in third but it did not loosen up. Help!!

Your car may have more than one problem with the clutch. You should first check the clutch hydraulic master cylinder to make sure you have fluid in it and pump the clutch pedal several times before you try and start it to make sure the pedal is pressing in the clutch to release it. If the clutch pedal is working properly then your clutch pressure plate may be not releasing the clutch and need to be replaced. Have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic check to see the cause for you to isolate the faulty part.