Q: Engine Oil (Not transmission fluid) leak behind the bell housing.

I recently changed my steering gear box, pitman arm, and inner and outer tie rod. Once I was done I was running it to cycle the power steering fluid and as I was about to drive away I noticed about a 1/16 of engine oil. The source of the leak is from the rear driver side of the transmission fluid pan right by the shifter link boot. The oil definitely resembles engine oil and not tranny fluid. Not quite sure what would cause this to leak from there because this is not seeming like the infamous 5.3 bell housing leak. Please let me know if you figure anything out. Thank you, Jack Davis. jackeltoner@gmail.com

Hi there. The oil pan, oil filter, or the rear main seal (rear crankshaft seal) could be leaking. Check the oil filter and make sure that it is on tight. Then take a socket and wrench and check all of the oil pan bolts and see if any of them are loose. If the bolts are tight and the filter is tight, then the rear main seal is leaking, which will have to have the transmission removed to get to it. If you need further assistance with your engine oil leaks, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.