Q: Engine light flashed on freeway?

I was driving pretty far on the freeway about 2 and a half hours and for about 2 seconds my engine light came on and was flashing then turned off and never turned back on again for the rest of the drive. But when I got off the freeway my temperature was almost maxed out? What could have caused the engine light to come on and flash and what caused the temperature to rise? The engine light never turned back on after that.

The overheating is most likely what caused your check engine light to come on, although there are many other reasons that may also cause this light to come on. Overheating can be caused by a number of things such as low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, a clogged radiator or a failing coolant fan switch. As you may know the coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. When your thermostat is not working properly or is stuck closed, this will not allow the coolant to properly circulate through the engine, which may cause the engine temperature to fluctuate erratically or in some cases just remain hot. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your cooling system.

3. Engine light flashed on freeway?