We have been told that our crankshaft housing is leaking ...

Q: We have been told that our crankshaft housing is leaking oil on our 2011 Toyota Sienna. We already replaced the rear main seal.

asked by on July 11, 2017

We bought a used van at the end of may. Within days, we noticed oil leaking in our garage. We took it to the dealership who diagnosed an engine cooler hose leak which was covered by a Toyota warranty because the part was known to leak. It was replaced. We went to pick up the vehicle and there was still oil leaking. They then told us it was leaking from the rear main seal. We took it to our local mechanic who replaced the rear main seal...and it is still leaking oil. That mechanic told us it was leaking from a head gasket (which didnt make sense at all). We then took it to a different toyota dealership who says its leaking from the crank shaft housing. They also say its leaking grease from both axle boots on both sides. We are at a loss. We've gotten 3 different (very expensive) diagnoses from 3 different places. Thoughts?

Firstly, I have never heard of a crankshaft housing. Perhaps they were referring to the engine? The crankshaft is inside the engine and located on the bottom side of it. The pistons are all connected to the crankshaft and the crankshaft cannot be seen without removing the oil pan. The engine block and the oil pan together would be the "crankshaft housing". It is possible that you could have an oil pan gasket leak. I think what most likely happened is that the person who replaced your rear main seal did not do it correctly and is trying to tell you something different to cover themselves. The rear main seal is most likely the cause of the leak and I would recommend having it replaced again based on your description.