Q: Engine gets hot and shuts down but has spark - 1989 Mercedes-Benz 300CE

My car has been shutting down when it gets hot, but it does still have spark. I changed the fuel filter, two fuel pumps, the fuel pump relay, and the crank positioning sensor. I used aftermarket fuel pumps and they are loud and winding. The problem with my car’s getting hot and shutting down seems to me to be a fuel problem. I tried cranking the engine and it will not start, but it does have spark. Can you direct me to finding the cause of this problem?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. The fuel p...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. The fuel pumps in the fuel tank may have been damaged from debris in the fuel tank damaging the motors. Remove the fuel tank pumps and look inside the tanks to see if there is debris at the bottom of the tank. The pumps will suck in the debris and damage the pumps. If you need help having this checked, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to test the vehicle and diagnose the stalling issue.