Q: engine dies after starting

Sometimes when I start up my hummer it wants to die or stop running. It does this about one out of ten times and you can smell gas like it's flooding the engine. It will idle normally after you step on the accelerator to keep it running before it will die. The temperature outside doesn't make any difference in this problem. It does the same thing no matter what. Do you have any suggestions?

A: Hello. Most of the time of you can smell ga...

Hello. Most of the time of you can smell gas when this happens, as it is because the fuel pressure regulator is leaking or there is an issue with the coolant temperature sensor not reading correctly. It can also be a failing crank sensor or a dirty throttle body, but those do not usually cause the fuel smell. I usually check the regulator first by seeing if there is fuel in its vacuum line. If there is, then it is bad. If not, then I install a scan tool to see if there are any sensors reading improperly. If you are looking to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car's stalling problem.