Q: ECU ? 2006 Mazda 6

I am going to buy a Mazda 6 2006 but the guy told me it won't go over 20 mph and that the reason is because the ECU is fried. it also needs a spark plug in cylinder 5. I don't know much about cars so I wanted to know if by getting a new ECU and a new spark plug. Will the car run good again? That's what the guy told me that was needed to be done.

Hello - I would first ask for the basis of that diagnosis, including the problem codes which would confirm the sellers statement. Buying a vehicle under these circumstances is a very risky transaction in my experience. While everything represented to you may be accurate and legitimate, it suggests detailed technical knowledge on the part of the seller, but without making the repair. It may also not be a complete assessment of issues with the vehicle. I recommend a pre-purchase inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to vehicles location, diagnose any and all problems, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. ECU ? 2006 Mazda 6