Q: Drove thru water mechanic said engine not hydrolocked but need starter, starter put on now need new engine

asked by on February 21, 2018

Towed Binz to shop I drove thru water and believed engine was hydrolocked, mechanic said engine was not hydrolock but needed starter. After putting starter on got call saying engine bad need to rebuilt or new one, I never would put starter on bad engine, wondering how starter can ruin engine.

A starter cannot ruin the engine. The most likely cause of this issue is that the mechanic misdiagnosed the issue and that the engine was actually hydrolocked in the first place. I would recommend Consulting with them to determine if they can do anything for you about the misdiagnosis.