Q: Driver has to pump brake pedal multiple times to brake

When I first started my car, the brakes would not operate. While I backed out of my driveway, I tried pressing on the brake pedal several times by pumping the brake pedal more than eight times to get the brake system to engage. There was another instance where I was driving about 5 mph and the brakes stopped functioning and my car rolled until it independently stopped. I went to the dealer and was told that my car needed a new pump that will assist the braking system to build up pressure so that the brakes will engage. Before I agree to this, would you please give me your diagnosis of this problem?

A: I’m not familiar with a pump assisting the ...

I’m not familiar with a pump assisting the system, but the master cylinder creates the hydraulic pressure needed to transfer power from your floor to the brake assemblies. A failing master cylinder can feel like a leak in the hydraulic system as it cannot create the proper pressure. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, physically inspect the brake system for any actual leaks as well.