Q: Does head gasket sealant work? 2003 Toyota Matrix

I had my engine re-built 3 years ago because of a blown head gasket and it is no longer under warranty. The head gasket is leaking and I can't afford to buy another car right now. I was wondering if head gasket sealants work, if so which ones, or if I should just sell the car? I would probably only get about 1K for it, so that's why I'm considering the sealant.

Thank you,

Cyndi

Hello - the use of "sealing" products is a bit of a religious discussion. Some swear by them, others swear at them. Yes, they will sometimes seal a small leak, although head gaskets are less likely to stay sealed due to the extreme pressure and temperature they operate under. Be aware that all of the sealing products leave a bit of a coating on the inside of the entire cooling system (engine, radiator, hoses, etc.), which reduces the ability of the cooling system to get heat out of the engine. This can sometimes lead to an overheating situation. Your situation is difficult given economic considerations. Depending on the rest of the vehicle condition, it may be best to repair the current head gasket situation, or simply sell it as-is as you suggest. Good luck!

3. Does head gasket sealant work? 2003 Toyota Matrix