Q: Does a 1994 Cadillac Deville have a crankshaft sensor or do I need to replace the whole distributor?

my 94 Cadillac deville rpm go up and down while at stop..it sounds like it wants to shut off..is that a ignition distributor problem? and also when driving in stop and go traffic my low oil pressure light comes on but car does not act any diffrent..no noise or lost of power ..is that a sensor or should i replace oil pump

A: Hi there. The ignition system for the 4.9L ...

Hi there. The ignition system for the 4.9L in your vehicle, should be HEI (high energy ignition) and does not have a CKP (crankshaft position sensor). The pick-up coil is inside the distributor and most likely is not the cause for the erratic idle. It could be, an intake manifold vacuum leak, a faulty TPS (throttle position sensor) incorrectly calculating throttle position, or a faulty ISC (idle speed control) stepper motor which contains an idle tracking switch. The low oil pressure light may be related to the low engine rpm and correcting the erratic idle speed may correct the oil light. There is a possibility and should be properly diagnosed, that the oil pressure sensor is at fault. I recommend having your vehicle's erratic idle be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.