My check engine light is on and my oil pressure gauge is ...

My check engine light is on and my oil pressure gauge is all the way to the top. My oil level is fine, I have the correct oil. Replaced the oil sensor last weekend but the check engine light won’t go off and now it won’t start <b...

My check engine light is on and my oil pressure gauge is all the way to the top. My oil level is fine, I have the correct oil. Replaced the oil sensor last weekend but the check engine light won’t go off and now it won’t start Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink? Stays on Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car? 2006 Dodge [Ram 1500](/topics-ram-1500/) 5.7 liter 4x4 Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far? I was trying to. Checked my oil. Installed a new pressure sensor. Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? Not that I can think of

Automotive Expert
Good Afternoon, my name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* ill be helping you, so sorry to hear about the issues here on the Ram. I know how frustrating it can be to deal with a check engine light coming on. Now just so im clear have we confirmed why the check engine light is set or are we assuming its oil pressure related?

The only code it's giving is P0523 which is related to oil pressure.
Automotive Expert
Okay thank you, \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* does indicate that the oil pressure sender is returning a high voltage. Did we use an original sensor when we replaced it?

No a replacement from AutoZoneI assume you mean a replacement from Mopar
Automotive Expert
okay i ask because there is a chance that the new sensor is faulty. we would need to test the electrical output at the sensor connector and compare to what the ECM issues using a scan tool. if the two signals match we know the wiring is fine and would either need to use an OEM sensor to see if the reading changes or suspect a mechanical issue causing the high oil pressure.

Ok so now what?The oil level is fine. It's the correct oil and the trucks runs and sounds fine.
Automotive Expert
like i mentioned we would need to test the electrical output at the sensor connector and compare to what the ECM is seeing using a scan tool. if the two signals match we know the wiring is fine and would either need to use an OEM sensor to see if the reading changes or suspect a mechanical issue causing the high oil pressure.

how do we address that? Can someone come fix it?
Automotive Expert
yeah this would be something a mobile mechanic can do however id recommend we bring it in to a shop since it will require some testing

when can that happen and do we have an idea of what this might cost?
Automotive Expert
you would need to contact a local shop to see what their availability is and its not a very involved test so id ballpark 1-2 hours of labor and around 150-250 in diagnostics.

your service doesn't work with mechanics and that end?
Automotive Expert
no. this service is only for automotive advice and repair walk throughs. we dont offer the actual repair hence the name JustAnswer can i ask the reason for the negative rating?

Because this was presented as a mobile mechanic service and like someone would come out to fix it
Automotive Expert
it was not presented as that. the company name is\*\*\*\*\* would the cost you paid for the service be equivalent to an actual automotive repair or to an advice and answer on a problem you have?