Q: Car broke down after making knocking sound.

Car broke down a few weeks ago while on the freeway. It was making a very loud knocking under the hood and there was a huge loss of power from the engine. It seized up a number of times, but I was able to get it restarted and to safety. The battery is very low and the car will not start. I believe that there is also an issue with the motor.

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This sounds like a possible loss of oil problem. If the engine has seized up before and the problem is reoccurring the engine is most likely dry. I would recommend checking the engine oil to see if it is low. If it is low, that will be your issue. If it is not low, something may have broken in the engine internally blocking oil to a certain area. Enlisting the help of a professional from YourMechanic would be a good idea. An expert in engine diagnostics will be able to help you with your issue. It is very likely that engine replacement will be required to get your vehicle up and running again. If engine replacement is not required it may at least need a major engine rebuild. This can be very costly so ensure that the problem is diagnosed correctly and done by a professional.