Q: dodge avenger 2010: The shift lever moves to all gears, but the car won't move. The dashboard says it is still in park.

asked by on September 08, 2017

The shift lever moves to all gears, but the car won't move. The instrument panel does not show the same change. It stays at P. How can that be repaired?

Car does not shift from park to drive Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle may be having one of several issues, but this is a common problem with your make and model. To begin, the shifter is connected to a cable right beneath the shifter knob itself. You have to remove the center console molding to access the cable, but then it can be adjusted or fixed. Most commonly the cable has been stretched or a small plastic component nearby has broken. Once you have access to the area, make sure the spring mount is intact, as it is also a common issue. It is small and typically pink. For more help with the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr