Q: Do you turn the rotors when performing a brake job?

Do you turn the rotors when performing a brake job? 2008 GMC Sierra SLE

A: Currently, the technicians working with You...

Currently, the technicians working with YourMechanic.com do not resurface brake rotors. The main reason for this is that, in order to perform a quality brake job, it is best to completely replace the rotors than it is to just resurface them. Resurfacing or machining rotors makes them thinner and more susceptible to overheating and warping. This can cause brake noise and pedal pulsation over time. Correcting this issue would require replacing the brake pads and rotors anyhow.

If you do not experience any pulsation or brake noise and your brake pads are low, the technician assigned to you will perform a test drive, a visual inspection, and measure the thickness of the rotors to see if they still fall into manufacturers specifications. Once all this information is gathered, we can determine if your vehicle needs to have the brake rotors replaced in addition to your brake pads replacement.