Q: Do I have to replace my starter?

My car didn't want to start so I would crank it over and over again but nothing happened, I would take my key out wait a minute or 2 and then tried turning it on and it did. But 2 days ago my car was just not turning on properly. Everytime I would turn the key to start it it would click and click and the car wouldn't start. It was jump started and then took it to a mechanic he checked the battery and said the battery was perfectly fine and the that car sound fine...but he also thought it could be the starter. Today I woke up to go to work but the car didn't start at all. When I try turning it on it makes a really silent click but doesn't want to turn on. Do I need to get my starter fixed or what could be the problem?

A failed starter can simply make a "clicking" sound but not crank the engine. If you have a friend and a hammer available, try this if the starter is visible either under the hood or under the car. If the vehicle just "clicks," while one of you is turning the ignition to the START position, have the other lightly tap the starter with a hammer. If the vehicle starts, the starter has what we call a "dead spot" in the electrical windings. When the starter stops spinning and winds up on that "dead spot," the vehicle will not start the next time you go to start it. If that does not work, have a certified technician look into your no start condition.

3. Do I have to replace my starter?