Q: My 2001 Tacoma will drive fine for about 20 minutes and then I can’t go over 20 mph, meanwhile the rpm will go up and down as I pr

After about 20 min. of normal driving my vehicle won’t go over 20 mph but the rpms still go up and down as I press and depress the gas pedal.

Hello Wesley. Thanks for contacting us today. It is quite likely that your Tacoma is stuck in what’s referred to as a Limp Mode. This happens when the ECU detects a fault within the driveline and limits the speed of the vehicle to allow the owner to drive to a service facility to be inspected. In most cases, it’s due to a speed sensor fault or other major transmission component failure. I’d recommend having a professional mechanic download any stored codes to help diagnose this issue. However, in most cases, a visit to a Toyota Dealership is the typical end result.