Did intake gasket. Car now bogs and stalls when started. ...

Q: Did intake gasket. Car now bogs and stalls when started. Maf and misfire codes

asked by on August 01, 2017

So I got the car from the previous owner after he did the lower intake and appropriate gaskets. Car ran fine prior to changing the gaskets, now when you try to start it it bogs out and dies. Throwing a MAF low frequency code as well as a non specific misfire code. Vac lines have been checked, they are good. When I unplug the MAF sensor and fire the car it hesitates for a moment then jumps to 3k rpm. I'm rather stumped.

Hello, thank you for writing in. Simply pulling the mass airflow sensor is not a good enough test. You will want to test it with a multimeter to get an accurate reading on how it is working. The symptoms you are having are consistent with a vacuum leak. The leak may be coming from the gasket itself, as they are incredibly easy to over or under-torque when reassembling. If you did not clean the engine’s surface well enough before installing the gasket, it can also cause problems. Properly check the mass airflow sensor to rule it out, and then proceed to do a smoke test or similar vacuum leak test. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.