Q: Despite repairs, vibrations and droning noise persist - 1997 Ford Aerostar

I am experiencing vibrations in my minivan, with a droning noise, These happen at different and various speeds. I tried several times to get the dealership to repair my car and one time they did seem to repair it. However, a high level of the vibration and droning returned at 50-55 mph and was even more obvious at 60 mph. The dealership has tried balancing and rotating the tires, drive shaft balancing, replacement of the rear axle components, and numerous test drives. “All” of these things did not fix, nor affect the drivetrain vibration and noise; they still exist. Can you please tell me what will fix these problems?

A: Hello. With the information I have, it soun...

Hello. With the information I have, it sounds like there could be an issue with the rear differential of your van. A droning noise from the rear could be caused by one of the wheel bearings, or the carrier bearings for the differential itself.

It may be possible that the bearings may have failed and caused fine particles of metal to be distributed through the differential housing. If the case is not thoroughly cleaned during the service, the metal could work its way into the bearings and cause them to fail again. This would explain why it was fixed for a time, and then came back again. Also, is the vibration in the steering wheel? If there is, that means that there is an issue in the front end of the vehicle. For a more precise answer, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the vibration and pinpoint the faulty component(s).