Q: Dealer advised during brake fluid flush that fluid has congealed in tank. Tank needs to be replaced unless a way can be found to r

asked by on August 19, 2017

Dealer advised during brake fluid flush that fluid has congealed in tank. Tank needs to be replaced unless a way can be found to remove congealed brake fluid. Is this common? What could have caused this? I had brake fluid flushed 2 years ago on schedule.

Brake fluid can congeal in vehicle braking systems but it is not common. The contaminants that cause this vary from moisture to system materials wearing off to adding mistaken fluids to the brake fluid, such as engine oil. The remedy depends solely on how extensive the contaminated material is. Congealed material will often remain in situ and cause no problems. Consequently, I would not be too quick to remove or replace anything until you have an objective third party expert evaluate what you have. If the congealed material is at the bottom of the plastic master cylinder reservoir, for instance, such is cleanable and no parts replacement is required, save for replacement rubber grommets if it is disassembled. If you desire that the contamination you see be evaluated, please request brake master cylinder inspection. Note on the order ticket that you desire an inspection ONLY at the outset and you will be charged only for an inspection, not replacement. If parts are necessary, obviously the mechanic will go over that in high detail, including explaining why. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.