Q: My steering wheel in my 2004 chevy cavalier is tight and stiff

asked by on March 13, 2017

My steering wheel feel stiff and really tight when im goung around curves and turning i dont have to apply pressure to turn though...and i dont here a whining noise so im wondering why my steering wheel is tight and stiff

Make sure that your tires are not under inflated in the front. If there is adequate power steering fluid and the belt driving the pump pulley is properly tensioned, the output pressure of the pump should be measured. If the pressure is inadequate that can cause steering difficulty. If the pump checks out then it is possible that the rack assembly and/or linkages are binding. To resolve this, the recommended service is a power steering effort diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.