Q: Creaking and twisting of shock when turning steering wheel

I have bilstein 5100 shocks in the rear that were added around 25k miles ago. Whenever the truck is in drive with the brakes fully applied, and I turn the steering wheel, the drivers side shock moves and create a creaking noise. This only happens when I am not moving, or at least that’s the only time I can hear it happening. I have tightened them down, but the problem still occurs. The noise only goes away when I get under the truck and hold the shock in place.

It is possible that the quality of the rubber in the bushings for the shocks could not be as good as what the original shocks had. When bushings rub against the both that secures them to the vehicle this can create a noise such as what you are hearing. Unfortunately the shocks may need to be replaced again or at least the bushings with a higher-quality bushing in order to prevent this noise.

3. Creaking and twisting of shock when turning steering wheel