Q: Crankshaft pulley bolt is tight and won't come loose even with impact 2015 Dodge Dart

Hello, trying to swap the stock crankshaft pulley on my car for a lightweight pulley. I've tried on four separate occasions to get the pulley off to no avail. Today I thought for sure I was going to get it as I had a Milwaukee 1/2" 650 ft/lbs impact and a propane torch to apply heat. But the bolt would not move at all. I tried penetrating oil as well. I have an oxy-acetylene torch but I don't know if that would be too hot and damage the crankshaft bearings. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello - the crankshaft damper pulley bolt on many engines is installed with more than 400 ft lbs of torque. This is tough for us mere mortals to deal with. The first task is to install the correct crankshaft locking device so the engine is not rotated backwards while removing this bolt. Most often, a pin is inserted to lock the flywheel. Use a 3/4" breaker bar with a 4 ft section of pipe extending it and the correct socket. (It is easier than you think to break a 1/2" bar doing this). This may seem extreme, but will also be required when you install your new pulley as well. Caution - this bolt may NOT be re-usable as well - so be sure you have a new one on hand to install. Good luck!

• Crankshaft pulley bolt is tight and won't come loose even with impact 2015 Dodge Dart