Q: Coolant

I put coolant in my car Tuesday morning and I was driving it around blasting the AC and a light of a coolant light came on on my dashboard on Thursday and Friday more evening I was driving it around the temperature gauge went up and it was almost it did not pass the red line so I stop the car I check the coolant there was nothing inside the coolant so I hurry up and drove it home and left it there I put another coolant in it first then came back and still same thing but there's no smoke I'm trying to figure out what the problem is I hope you can help me I'm losing coolant to my car

A: Hi there. Thanks for writing in about the c...

Hi there. Thanks for writing in about the coolant issue with your 2000 Olds Alero. Coolant or radiator fluid circulated from the radiator to a pump and through the engine block to maintain a consistent temperature. The first thing you should check as soon as possible is the engine oil, as this looks like a classic blown head gasket issue or a problem with water jackets inside the engine.

If the engine oil is milky, then you've got a pretty significant issue that should be fixed by a mechanic as soon as possible. If you're not leaking any radiator fluid, then its most likely being circulated through the motor in places where it should not. My best advice would be to stop driving the car and have a mechanic inspect the car for coolant leaks to let you know what is going on and to prevent further damage.