Q: Clicking/knocking from front of vehicle at idle speed, severe vibration at driving speed

My vehicle makes a clicking/knocking sound when traveling at idle speed in both forward and reverse. The speed of the knocking increases as the vehicle speed increases. In addition, when traveling between 20-60 mph, the vehicle experiences intermittent violent shaking. The tires are new and have been balanced. There is a torn boot on the front-right CV axle/half shaft, which may be the source of the problem. Are there other possible causes?

The CV axle is a good possibility but any rotating component, such as wheel bearings, can potentially account for the noise. In your circumstance, the CV axle has to be replaced anyway, so the most expeditious thing to do is replace the axle and see if that resolves it. If not resolved, then a mechanic would pinpoint the origin of the noise very readily, given how marked the noise is, and upon pinpointing it can let you know of the required repairs. If you want to start this process by first getting the axle replaced, please schedule service at YourMechanic’s CV axle service page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Clicking/knocking from front of vehicle at idle speed, severe vibration at driving speed