I have a 2001 SILVERADO 2500hd work truck, after jumpstar...

I have a 2001 SILVERADO 2500hd work truck, after jumpstarting it, I pulled it into the shop and let it run for 20-30 minutes. I was vacuuming it out and the truck suddenly died. When I tried to restart it, I noticed the headlights...

I have a 2001 SILVERADO 2500hd work truck, after jumpstarting it, I pulled it into the shop and let it run for 20-30 minutes. I was vacuuming it out and the truck suddenly died. When I tried to restart it, I noticed the headlights stayed on, even with the key off. I tried turning them off with the headlight switch, and also four presses of the dome light switch, but neither worked. The pickup wouldn't start, either. It would run for a couple seconds then die. I put a new battery in, but still won't start, headlights stay on. Any ideas? Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this? Nothing in the manual pertaining to this Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '01 car? Chevy silverado 2500hd Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far? I described in detail everything I've tried.

Automotive Expert
Hello, my name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* to just answer! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. I’m really sorry that you’re having this issue and I’m going to help you through it, but please understand that I (respectfully) don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us to diagnose/repair your vehicle. Also, understand that I can't see, smell, hear or touch the vehicle either, so your patience/understanding is appreciated. Please allow me up to 10 minutes to gather schematics and other pertinent information for this issue. I do not know anything about the fees or charge so please if you have any concerns, direct them to customer service. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Thank you. **access the body control module, remove the connectors, and check for signs of moisture or corrosion.**

Thank you, I appreciate any help you can offer!The BCM is under the steering wheel, correct?
Automotive Expert
that is correct. remove the knee bolster

I checked that, I couldn't see any corrosion, bare wires, or anything that looked problematic
Automotive Expert
did you remove the connectors to look inside them?

Yeah, unplugged everything, no corrosion.
Automotive Expert
ok, if you remove the headlight relay do they go off?

they turn off when I remove the relay, but the parking lamps stay on. If I remove the TBD fuse, all lights turn off
Automotive Expert
you mean TBC...

Yeah, stupid auto-correct
Automotive Expert
Ok what [engine](/topics-engine-chevy/) is in that?

6.0
Automotive Expert
ok
Automotive Expert
well, something is going on with the battery cables shorting to power. you need to check the battery cables from where they leave the battery to where it enters the fuse block and runs to the starter. (see attached schematic)

I'll check it, it'll take a few minutes, stand by.
Automotive Expert
ok

That all looks fine. I also noticed that none of the gauges on the instrument panel, other than battery voltage works.
Automotive Expert
**check all of the fuses in the underhood fuse box. this isn't going to be easy to track down if it isn't a fuse or two.** this very well could be the ignition switch

I've checked all fuses, both fuse blocks. The only ones that were blown were rr park, and trailer turn lightsThe pickup starts and runs for a couple seconds, if the ignition switch were bad, it shouldn't turn over, correct?
Automotive Expert
no, it could still be bad if its not latching the relay does the security light go out when you are cranking the engine?

I've tried swapping relays around, but it doesn't change anything
Automotive Expert
does the security light go out when you are cranking the engine?

The security light doesn't ever come on, even when I just turn the key to the on position
Automotive Expert
Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. Who am I helping today? I'm glad you've come here to get help. I will do my best to get the answer you are looking for. I help many customers, so sometimes my replies are delayed, I will respond once available. I try to be online at 1-5 pm and 10 pm-5 am every day. - I see the other tech has opted out. - Maybe I can help. - Is the original concern the same question still or is the concern different?

Thank you for the reply, I had to call it quits last night, hopefully I can catch up to you today at some point! Basically, here's what happened... I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD, 6.0 Vortec, 280,000 miles. It's been sitting for a while but yesterday I went to pull it into the shop to clean it up. The battery was dead, so I jump started it and let it run for 20-30 minutes. I pulled into the shop and was vacuuming it out, when it just died. I went to restart it, and noticed that the lights were on. They wouldn't turn off with the switch, or four presses of the dome light switch. When I tried starting the pickup, i had to jump it again, but it would only run for a couple seconds, then die. I had to pull the headlight relay to get the headlights to shut off. The only gauge that works now is the battery voltage, all the gauges worked before. I put a new battery in, checked all fuses, switched relays around, no change. I pulled the harnesses out of the BCM, there is a slight bit of corrosion in the far right connection. I cleaned it up, but that didn't solve anything. When I turn the key on, the security light doesn't light up. Any ideas?
Automotive Expert
Thanks for those details. Do you have access to a scan tool to see what codes are stored in all modules? Have you looked for wiring damage from rodents?
Automotive Expert
Since you were not able to reply to the info request I sent. I cannot be as accurate and thorough as I would like in my answer. I hope what I can provide does help. Possible causes can be the theft system is triggered, or there are module to module communication errors affecting the CAN network, Thank you for seeking us for help, I hope I provided what was needed. Press reply if you need to follow up. If you liked my answer please let me know so I can mark your question complete. Moose