Q: I'm losing power steering after replacing rack and pump

asked by on December 31, 2016

I had my rack and power steering pump replaced. My car loses power steering now from time to time. Did we miss something in replacing the parts?

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

First you need to see that the fluid level is correct. Bring the engine up to operating temperature and check the fluid at the reservoir. Top it up with Pentosin CHF11 hydraulic fluid. The fluid gets foamy when it is low and the steering effort will get choppy. There isn’t much left to change on your power steering except the reservoir. Usually you change the reservoir when changing any other component because it contains a built-in filter. If that has not been replaced then it should be. Other problems could be deteriorated hoses that are leaking. To sort this problem out, you can contact Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your power steering and recommend a solution.