Q: Check engine light read 3 maf codes but my car runs perfectly fine should I clean the sensor or replace it ?

asked by on December 02, 2017

My check engine light came on but went off a few times but now it's steady . I got it read at advanced auto parts and they said it's reading 3 maf codes . From my experience a bad maf would give the car problems starting or rough idle but my car runs perfectly fine . Any suggestions?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The check engine light comes on when there is a failure that can result in increased emissions. This is not always apparent when you are driving. When the controller detects a fault, it substitutes a value for the signal that is missing from the sensor to keep things working. Sometimes things work pretty well and you don’t notice a problem until you realize the car is using more gas than it used to. Sometimes you can get good results by cleaning the sensor, but in my experience, it doesn’t last and since I have to warranty my work, I prefer to replace the sensor to insure that I don’t have another problem with it in the future. But I don’t recommend replacing anything until you have it checked out by a professional. Interpreting trouble codes can be more subtle than simply replacing the parts named in the codes, and you don’t want to spend money unnecessarily. Contact YourMechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your Rogue and let you know what it is going to take to solve it.