Q: Check engine light on & oil pressure dropped

The check engine light came on while I was driving to work. Also, the oil pressure gauge dropped a little. So I checked the oil level and sure enough, it was a bit low - thus I added oil. While driving home, the light stayed on and the oil pressure started to drop again. Please tell me what is the basic cause of this and what should I do?

Hello. It is possible that you are getting a false reading as a result of a faulty oil pressure switch. It is also possible that there is an oil leak and that’s what is causing the oil pressure to drop. If this is the problem, you should be able to see oil on the ground. Another possibility is that the oil pump is faulty and causing a low oil pressure condition. I would recommend that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection in order to pinpoint why your Check Engine Light is on as well as the cause to your oil pressure problem.

3. Check engine light on & oil pressure dropped