Q: My check engine light came on AND my cruise control light started flashing, same exact time.

Driving home from work as usual, and then literally at the same exact time, both the check engine light come on AND the cruise control light started flashing. No change in car performance at all. When I got close to our local AutoZone I had them code it out, and it showed for Catalytic Converter. But I find it very odd that the Cruise light came on at the same exact time, almost as if it might be something electrical...or just a very strange coincidence. Thoughts?

Hello. Subaru has designed their vehicles to turn on the cruise control light when their is a problem with the power train system. This keeps you from using the cruise control when there is a problem. If there is a catalytic converter code then it may be a failure in the converter or an issue with an oxygen sensor. Most of the time this is due to the converter, but I always check the oxygen sensor readings first. If you would like to have this Check Engine Light and catalytic converter issue checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.

3. My check engine light came on AND my cruise control light started flashing, same exact time.