Q: New car battery, but there is no power to the car

asked by on October 18, 2016

The Jeep has been sitting for 2 months and went to start it and it did not even make any noise, I pulled the battery and had it charged, put it in the car and still got absolutely nothing. No lights go on, and none of the dash controls work. It's as if it has no power with a fully charged battery. What else could be wrong?

Battery Cable Replacement Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Check the fuse box for any blown fuses that could have popped while the vehicle was at rest. If all of the fuses are okay, then check the condition of the battery cables and make sure that they are tight. Also, make sure that there is no corrosion on the battery or battery cables.

Try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and reconnecting the battery. If everything works, then there was a problem with the computer booting up with the battery in the vehicle. If there still is no power and all connections are tight, then the fuse box could have a short causing the power to revert back to the battery.

Also, try turning the steering wheel and turning the key to the start position. If the starter engages, then the ignition switch is failing. If the ignition switch does not start the engine, then either the fuse box has a short or the computer system has failed and needs to be replaced.

If you need assistance in troubleshooting the no power situation, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, who can help you determine why the car will not start.