Q: Whining noise before starting-key in the ON position but not turning over the engine. 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

I noticed the noise because there's that brief moment before you turn the key, so I just put the key in the on position to listen. It makes whining or howling noise for about 3 seconds. I listened to the noise both under the car and inside the engine compartment; it sounds like it's coming from the engine compartment. I took the top cover off the engine but I still can't source it. Starter seems to be fine; it's new and the noise was there before and after the new starter.

Hello - your truck has a secondary air injection pump, which is powered by an electric motor. It is located under the hood, and is power up in the "Run" ignition switch position. I suspect what you are hearing is this pump spinning up. If the noise seems louder than reason would suggest, perhaps the bearings are worn out, and a replacement air pump is in your future. For further diagnosis, I recommend a noise inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Whining noise before starting-key in the ON position but not turning over the engine. 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500